The Live Cinema Conference 2016
Friday 27 May 2016
King’s College London, Strand London
The Conference: 09:00-18:00
Hangmen Re-hanged: 18:45-22:45
The Conference 09:00-18:00
This important event includes the official launch of four landmark initiatives:
- The Live Cinema Network
- The Arts Council England funded Live Cinema in the UK 2016 report
- A special themed journal issue of Participations Journal of Audience & Reception Studies: “Inside-the-scenes: The rise of experiential cinema”
- The first ever immersive cinema event which unites the forms and aesthetics of ‘event’ cinema, ‘live’ cinema, ‘sensory’ cinema and promenade theatre.
Speakers from across the film exhibition industry will join academics to discuss for the first time at a national level the field of live cinema: film screenings augmented through live performance or immersive elements, including site-specific locations, technological intervention, social media engagement, and all manner of simultaneous interactive moments including singing, dancing, eating, drinking and smelling.
Event Cinema Association, NT Live, Picturehouse Entertainment, Sheffield Doc/Fest, Sneaky Experience, VUE Entertainment, Prince Charles Cinema, Luna Cinema, Backyard Cinema and Rooftop Film Club.
The conference includes the following specialist sessions:
- Funding ideas lab
- Intellectual Property (IP) & Licensing Master class
- Audience Development & Marketing Master class
- Training, Development & Education Workshop
There will also be a number of interactive installations for participants to engage with throughout the day, these include ROAD, and the National Theatre’s VR wonder.land exhibit.
Hangmen Re-hanged 18:45-22:45*
We have devised a novel experience which draws together multiple elements, sensations and new collaborations from the live cinema and event cinema domains.
Our event is centered on a film screening of the play The Hangmen (by Martin McDonagh) which was originally streamed live to cinemas on 3rd March to conclude its successful West End run. We will reintroduce The Hangmen’s theatrical context and the liveness of its original broadcast through a unique fusion of performance, film and food in a playful re-play of the play!
For the first time, the forms and aesthetics of ‘event’ cinema, ‘live’ cinema and promenade theatre are united in a hybrid, multi-layered, immersive and sensory experience, which promises to delight, surprise and enthrall the audience.
(Devised by Sarah Atkinson & Helen Kennedy in partnership with NT Live, Omnibus and Edible Cinema with Bombay Sapphire.)
£150 – per ticket (Day & evening)
£35* – Evening ticket
£120 – Day-only ticket
# Tickets are non-refundable but may be transferred.
* Please note that the evening event is strictly for guests aged 18 or over.